What is the Occupational Health and Safety Awareness and Training Regulation (O. Reg. 297/13)?
On November 15, 2013, The Ministry of Labour announced a new regulation that impacts Ontario workplaces. Effective July 1, 2014, employers must ensure all workers and supervisors have completed a basic occupational health and safety awareness training program.
What you can do
Building awareness across all workplaces and specifically for all workers and supervisors is important for all workplaces including small business and those who employ vulnerable workers. The introduction of this regulation signals a significant turning point in health and safety history that will have a profound impact on future generations.
Employers should be prepared to raise the level of dialogue and encourage more conversations - as awareness increases, so too will questions, ideas and, perhaps most importantly, commitment.
The following steps will help your business meet its obligations and create a safer, healthier and more productive operation.
- Make your organization aware of the new requirements, and why it's important for people and for business.
- Assess your existing awareness program against the ministry’s requirements.
- If your program does not meet requirements, figure out what’s needed and how to proceed.
- Draft an implementation schedule for training and record keeping that ensures compliance before July 1, 2014.
- Verify that new hires have had appropriate training.
- Document, document, document.
Ministry of Labour Awareness Training
Available through the ministry are free Supervisor and Worker e-learning modules and training workbooks. This is also where you can obtain the poster that must be displayed in all workplaces.
WSPS Awareness Training
WSPS also offers worker and supervisor awareness training with value added benefits to fit your unique needs. We can help you meet the July 1 compliance deadline with convenient and flexible training options.
Please call 1 877-494-WSPS (9777) ext. 0 to speak to a health and safety professional about any of the training listed below.