How the WSIB Excellence program works
Your Journey Through the Program
- Attend an info session: Understand the program and business case for health and safety.
- Join: Choose an approved provider (WSPS), complete an assessment and select 1-5 topics to work on for the year.
- Develop: Learn and implement safety topic(s) with the support of WSPS guides and health and safety professionals.
- Demonstrate: Submit evidence of implementation for review by a WSIB validator.
- Achieve: Receive rebates, non-financial recognition and improve health and safety in your workplace.
Making Your Workplace Safer Just Got Easier
The new Health and Safety Excellence program will help make Ontario a healthier and safer place to work. Success in the program can earn you rebates on your annual WSIB premiums and other non-financial recognition for your investment in health and safety.
- Firms require an active WSIB account in good standing with the WSIB
- Both Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 firms can participate; however, financial incentives are only available to Schedule 1 firms
- Participation requires the firm to register with an approved program provider (WSPS)
Keeping People Safe and Healthy At Work Is Good For Business
Under WSIB’s 2020 rate framework, employers will fall into one of two groups based on their ability to influence their premium rates – high or low predictability.
||Rebate of WSIB Premiums/Topic
||Rebate Cap (Per 12 month enrollment)
|Group 1: Low Predictability (Less than or equal to 20%)
||Min $1000/topic, up to 75% of premiums
|Group 2: High Predictability (Over 20%)
||Max $50,000/topic, maximum of $250,000 for 5 successfully implemented topics
NOTE: Predictability is a measurement of how much your past claims and insurable earnings can be used to predict future outcomes.
Check out WSIB’s Excellence program rebate calculator (XLS) to estimate your potential rebate.
- An improved health and safety program for participating employer workplaces due to focused attention on building knowledge and implementing plans.
- An Excellence program participation badge will be visible in COMPASS when a firm’s action plan is approved by the WSIB (updated quarterly).
- Firms will receive additional COMPASS recognition for each topic and level completed, as well as number of years in the program.
- An annual achievement report will be sent to employers from the WSIB to reflect their progress in the program.
WSPS Pricing Structure
|WSIB Premium Amount
||Annual Fee (Excellence program cost)
|Premiums < $100K
||$800 + HST
|Premiums $100K < $1 Million
||$1,700 + HST
|Premiums > = $1 Million
||$2,500 + HST
How to Register
Registration for the 2020 Health and Safety Excellence program is now open. Complete the application form (117 KB PDF) or contact email@example.com to learn more.
2020 Excellence program Member Application Form (117 KB PDF)