This course provides detailed descriptions of all aspects of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) system for TDG by road. The course will help employers, owners, managers, supervisors, TDG coordinators, and those who have responsibilities for determining the training requirements for employees who will be handling dangerous goods, meet their responsibilities to ensure that all work involving dangerous goods is done properly according to the requirements of the TDG Act and Regulations. The record of training expires after three years.
Average time to complete this course is about 4 hours in class or 4.5 hours virtually. Please note this course was previously advertised as 3.5 hours.
TDG Certificate of Training
Because TDG training is job-specific, the employer is responsible for determining the required training, assessing the worker's knowledge and experience, and issuing the Certificate of Training. Refer to Transport Canada's bulletin on TDG training requirements for further information.
This course is delivered in a public classroom, either in-person and/or virtually.
Private delivery is available for employees in your workplace, either in-person or virtually. Please contact Customer Care at 905-614-1400 or 1-877-494-WSPS (9777) for more information about private training options.
Virtual Training is currently available in English only.
Please note that a webcam is mandatory for participation in the virtual Transportation of Dangerous Goods classroom.
Participant requirements for virtual include a webcam, capable hardware, software & internet. Virtual sessions will be delivered using the Adobe Connect platform, supported on all major web browsers, tablets and cell phones.
Please view the Virtual Training FAQ for more details on virtual delivery.
WSPS has partnered with Infrastructure Health & Safety Association (IHSA) to provide high quality Health and Safety training and resources. IHSA's training and resources were developed by subject specialists, and reviewed by labour and government to ensure content and approach. Please check out their website at www.ihsa.ca to find out more information.
Our WSPS approved trainers has met and exceeded IHSA's benchmark and have successfully completed IHSA's TDG high calibre training program and stringent requirements.
Provides an introduction and overview of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Act and Regulations. Includes information on training, classification, documentation, safety marks, means of containment, and emergencies.
The training cover the required content listed in paragraphs (a) to (k) of Section 6.2 of the TDG Act and Regulations. This course includes the SOR/2017-253 TDG regulatory amendment.
- Training, Inspection and Compliance
- Classification of Dangerous Goods
- Documentation of Dangerous Goods
- Safety Marks
- Means of Containment
- Emergency Response
- Special Cases for Road Transport
Upon completion, you will be able to
- TDG training prevents costly workplace incidents, injuries and illnesses but also environmental damage. This course helps employers to:
- Understand the requirements of the TDG system for employers, consignors, carriers and consignees
- Assess the requirements for training and certification of employees with TDG duties
- Understand Transport Canada's inspector role and what your rights are
- Establish effective procedures for the classification and documentation of dangerous goods
- Know when shipments are either exempt or partially exempt from the TDG system
- Select the appropriate means of containment
- Ensure that the correct safety marks are applied on the means of containment
- Develop systems for appropriate emergency planning and response.
TDG is recommended for employers, owners, managers, supervisors, TDG coordinators, and those who have responsibilities for determining the training requirements for employees who will be handling dangerous goods.
CCOHS offers a Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG): An Overview course for managers, employees, and others who need to know about TDG, but are not responsible for TDG activities.
CCOHS also offers a TDG e-learning equivalent: Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) (10.5 hours).