The Effective Supervisor: Building Strategies for Success considers the day-to-day context in which supervisors perform their role & brings to life the concepts associated with "organizing the work & its performance" as referenced in the definition of a competent person. This course goes beyond awareness of the legal roles & responsibilities of supervisors & engages participants in identifying real-life challenges and solutions.
This solution is replacing: The Effective Supervisor (2 days) (event ID: 17887)
Advised Pre-requisite: Supervisor Responsibilities and Due Diligence
In order to get the most value from the Effective Supervisor: Building Strategies for Success it is recommended that participants are familiar with workplace health and safety law regarding supervisor's duties and responsibilities. This can be achieved by attending training such as either of the following WSPS courses:
This course is delivered in a public classroom, either in-person and/or virtually.
Private delivery is available for employees in your workplace, either in-person or virtually. Please contact Customer Care at 905-614-1400 or 1-877-494-WSPS (9777) for more information about private training options.
Virtual Training is currently available in English only.
Participant requirements for virtual include a webcam, capable hardware, software & internet. Virtual sessions will be delivered using the Adobe Connect platform, supported on all major web browsers, tablets and cell phones.
Please view the Virtual Training FAQ for more details on virtual delivery.
We have revised & revamped the original Effective Supervisor course & have added new content such as:
- Mental health,
- Conflict resolution
- Human Rights
- Progressive discipline
- Violence and harassment
- What to do if an injury happens
- Workers with disabilities
Upon completion, you will be able to
- Identify and describe the role of a supervisor
- Describe the legal duties & responsibilities of a supervisor
- Describe how people are different & how diversity affects the supervisor's role
- Demonstrate various methods of communication
- Describe how to set-up & run a meeting or staff huddle
- Describe how to orient a new worker
- Demonstrate good coaching skills
- Define mental health & describe how it impacts the workplace
- Summarize supervisor approaches that promote mental health
- Describe the role of the supervisor in ensuring that human rights in the workplace are maintained
- Demonstrate how to manage conflict
- Describe how to implement progressive discipline measures in your workplace
- Describe a supervisor's responsibility for dealing with workplace violence and harassment
- Describe what to do if an injury happens
- Describe the principles of work reintegration & the supervisor's role
- Describe the supervisor's role in accommodating workers with disabilities
- Individuals currently in supervisory positions either newly appointed or experienced
- Individuals who would like to become supervisors
- Managers, HR personnel, CEO, Owners