Disponible en français
In an office environment, chemicals can come in the form of cleaners, paints, flammable aerosols, and gas cylinders, which all have their own unique set of hazards. People who work in these environments must understand how to identify and deal with these hazards. WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) information helps workers to identify these products, understand their specific hazards, and store, handle and use them safely.
This e-course explains common chemical hazards found in office buildings and provides learners with the core knowledge required to meet legislated WHMIS 2015 education requirements. In addition, participants will need training and instruction specific to their worksite conditions and procedure.
- WHMIS 2015 basics.
- WHMIS 2015 in the office environment.
- WHMIS hazard classes, labels, and safety data sheets.
- Emergency preparedness.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Describe the legal responsibilities of suppliers, employers and workers.
- Know when a product is a hazardous product.
- Understand the meaning of each WHMIS hazard pictogram.
- Evaluate and use the information on a WHMIS supplier label.
- Explain when workplace labels are needed.
- Know what information must be on a workplace label.
- Understand key information on safety data sheets.
- Find information on safe work practices and emergency procedures.
- Explain how WHMIS contributes to health and safety in an office environment.
- Name examples of hazardous products in a typical office setting.
- Describe basic safe work practices for different types of hazardous products.
Anyone who works in an office building, including workers, supervisors, managers, building personnel and cleaning or custodial staff.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company. Also available in French.
Content for this course was developed by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), and reviewed by labour, employer and government representatives to ensure a balanced perspective.
Please note, this course is not eligible for a volume discount.