Disponible en français
This intermediate level e-course covers the standard 16-section format introduced in WHMIS 2015, providing you with a thorough explanation of a safety data sheet (SDS).
Under WHMIS law, suppliers and manufacturers must inform workplaces about the hazards and safe use of their products. They meet this requirement by providing the employer with an SDS for each hazardous product. SDSs are important resources that allow you to identify the hazards of the products you use and to protect yourself from those hazards, including safe handling and emergency measures. Understanding them is critical to your safety.
Note that this course does not include instruction on writing SDSs or in-depth evaluation of SDSs for quality assurance.
An overview of WHMIS 2015.
The four main purposes of an SDS:
- Identification of the product and supplier
- Hazard identification
Other information found on an SDS.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Understand the purpose of an SDS, and how they are part of Canada's right-to-know system.
- Identify the information that is required to be disclosed on an SDS.
- Recognize the significance of the required information on a label and in the different sections of an SDS.
- Understand the terms commonly found on an SDS.
- Know where to get additional information.
- Workers, managers, supervisors, and health and safety committee members.
- Anyone who uses SDSs.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company. Also available in French.
Please note, this course is not eligible for a volume discount.