People who handle, ship, carry or receive dangerous goods must be fully qualified, trained and certified for their work.
This course consists of eight modules that provide detailed descriptions of all aspects of the TDG system. The course will help managers and supervisors meet their responsibilities to ensure that all work involving dangerous goods is done properly according to the requirements of the TDG Act and Regulations.
Understand the TDG system, assess the training requirements, plan for emergencies and learn about the dangerous goods classification, documentation and safety marks.
Examples and quizzes reinforce learning and each module has a self-assessment to test understanding of the material. A record of completion is provided upon successful completion of the final exam.
Topics include 8 modules:
- Overview: Provides an introduction and overview of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) system, the Act and Regulations, including training, classification, documentation, safety marks, means of containment and emergencies.
- Training, Inspection and Compliance: Describes the responsibilities of employers under the Act and Regulations, particularly for training and certification of employees, plus information on inspection and enforcement of the Act.
- Classification of Dangerous Goods: Describes how dangerous goods are classified for road and rail transport, the 9 hazard classes, and the relationship of TDG classes to shipping requirements.
- Documentation of Dangerous Goods: Explains the purpose of documentation, the information requirements for shipping documents, and the requirements for consignors, carriers and consignees.
- Safety Marks: Explains the purposes and kinds of safety marks and the requirements for safety marks, including how they are displayed and when they can be removed.
- Means of Containment: Describes the various kinds of containers for dangerous goods, the UN Packaging system and other standards for means of containment, certification safety marks, and other requirements to receive, handle and store means of containment.
- Emergency Response: Describes the various types of dangerous occurrences, the requirements for reporting and responding to leaks and spills, the use of the Emergency Response Guidebook, and Emergency Response Assistance Plans (ERAPs).
- Special Cases for Road Transport: Describes exemptions or partial exemptions from the requirements of the Regulations and explains when they can be used.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Understand the requirements of the TDG system for employers, consignors, carriers and consignees
- Assess the requirements for training and certification of employees with TDG duties
- Establish effective procedures for the classification and documentation of dangerous goods
- Ensure that the correct safety marks are applied to suitable means of containment
- Develop systems for appropriate emergency planning and response
The course reflects Amendment 6 to the TDG Regulations published in the Canada Gazette on February 20, 2008.
- Strongly recommended for managers and supervisors with TDG responsibilities
- Recommended for employers and owners with TDG responsibilities
- Consignors, carriers, consignees and others with TDG responsibilities who prefer a comprehensive course on the TDG system
Guidelines for Training Criteria:
Transport Canada has prepared guidelines to help understand the training requirements in Part 6 of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations. For further information on the guidelines, see http://www.tc.gc.ca/tdg/documents/cladvisory/advol1enew.htm. The guidelines indicate what Parts of the Regulations should be included in a person's specific training.
This comprehensive e-course covers all of the topics listed in Training Guidelines A, B, C and D for all TDG positions.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners.
Also available in English.