Disponible en français
Carriers are the people who transport dangerous goods. They may also load and unload shipments. The Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Act and Regulations require carriers to be adequately trained and hold a training certificate for their work. The seven modules of this course provide a detailed description of the parts of the TDG Act and Regulations that carriers must know. This includes documentation, safety marks, means of containment, emergency response and special cases for road transport.
Examples and quizzes reinforce learning and each module has a self-assessment to test understanding of the material.
A record of completion is provided by CCOHS upon successful completion of the final exam. A formal TDG Certificate of Training is issued by the employer when they determine their employee has a sound knowledge of all the topics and has received workplace specific training that directly relates to their duties with dangerous goods. The course was developed by CCOHS.
Topics include seven modules
- Overview: Provides an introduction and overview of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Act and Regulations. Includes information on training, classification, documentation, safety marks, means of containment, and emergencies.
- Training, Inspection and Compliance: Describes the responsibilities of employers under the TDG Act and Regulations. Information is provided on training and certification of employees, plus information on inspection and enforcement of the TDG Act and Regulations by Transport Canada.
- Documentation of Dangerous Goods: Explains the purpose of documentation, the required information elements for shipping documents, and the requirements for consignors, carriers and consignees. The information is based on the requirements in the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Act and Regulations.
- Safety Marks: Explains the types of safety marks, their purpose, and their requirements under the TDG Act and Regulations. Includes information on when and how the safety marks must be displayed, and when they can be removed or replaced.
- Means of Containment: Describes the various kinds of "means of containment" (such as drums and tanks) for dangerous goods under the TDG Act and Regulations. Includes information on the UN Packaging system and other standards for means of containment, certification safety marks, and other requirements such as handling and storage of the means of containment.
- Emergency Response: Describes the various types of dangerous occurrences and the requirements for reporting and responding to leaks and spills under the TDG Act and Regulations. Includes information on the use of the Emergency Response Guidebook, and the Emergency Response Assistance Plans (ERAPs).
- Special Cases for Road Transport:Describes exemptions or partial exemptions from the requirements in the TDG Act and Regulations. Explains when special cases can be used.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Apply and understand the purpose of the TDG Act and Regulations
- List and understand your responsibilities as a carrier under the TDG Act and Regulations
- Know the requirements for documentation and safety marks
- Ensure the correct means of containment is used and properly loaded and unloaded
- Understand and fulfill your obligations in the event of an emergency, including reporting
- Make appropriate use of applicable exemptions for road transport
Recommended for anyone who transports dangerous goods.
Prior technical knowledge of the TDG
system is not a requirement. However, experience as a driver and familiarity with practices in the transportation industry is helpful.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company.
Also available in French.