Every workplace has hazards. This course provides a general introduction to occupational health and safety for all new workers. Participants will gain knowledge of their workplace rights under health and safety legislation, understand the role of health and safety programs within a workplace, and learn how to identify job-related hazards in order to work safely.
Learn how to work safely, recognize workplace hazards and the basic elements of an occupational health and safety program.
The course also features case studies, review quizzes, and "Ask a Question". There is a self-assessment quiz to test understanding of the material at the end of Part 1. At the end of Part 2, those who score at least 80% on the final exam will be able to print a certificate of completion.
- Recognizing workplace hazards
- Occupational health and safety law
- General approaches to working safely Working safely - specific hazards
- Preparing for emergencies
- Occupational health and safety programs
- Who to ask for help
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Explain the three fundamental rights of workers in health and safety legislation
- Describe the general duties of employers and workers
- List the six basic types of workplace hazards
- Understand how workplace hazards are controlled and steps you can take to protect yourself
- Recognize the basic elements of an occupational health and safety program
- Know whom to work with regarding health and safety matters
This course is divided into two parts. Average time to complete this course is about 90 minutes.
This course is suitable to workers in organizations of all sizes, and in all industries and occupations, including:
- People new to the workforce
- Young workers under the age of 25
- People transferred within their organization
- All workers where processes and hazards have changed in the workplace
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company.
Content for this course was developed by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), and reviewed by labour, employer and government representatives to ensure a balanced perspective.
Also available in French.