Disponible en français
They're known by different names but work-related musculoskeletal disorders (WMSDs, or just MSDs) have one thing very much in common: they can cause discomfort, fatigue, pain and injury among workers.
MSDs are often caused by work that involves repetitive motion, forceful movements, and awkward body postures that are done for periods of time. Mainly the wrists, back, legs, shoulders, necks, muscles and joints are affected. This course focuses on good ergonomics principles and work organization as key prevention measures.
Understand the elements of workplace ergonomics, identify ergonomic hazards and develop an ergonomics program for your workplace.
Ideal for both offices and manufacturers, this course covers the causes of MSDs, how to develop and use ergonomics as a way to prevent injuries in the workplace, and the importance of having an ergonomic and training program. It can also be used as a practical resource for participants in employee training sessions.
The course also features case studies, review quizzes, and "Ask a Question". Those who score at least 80% on the final exam will be able to print a certificate of completion.
- Hazard identification
- Examining evidence of WSMD
- Risk assessment
- Developing and implementing controls
- Job hazard analysis
- Education and training
- Program evaluation and audits
- Recommending changes
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Identify the causes of WMSDs
- Understand the basic elements of workplace ergonomics
- Identify ergonomic hazards in order to prevent injuries
- Develop an ergonomics program and set goals for your workplace
- Develop training and education tools
- Involve managers and employees in the program
- Managers, supervisors and workers
- Employees working from home
- Occupational health nurses, occupational therapists, and chiropractors
- Health and safety representatives and health and safety professionals
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company.
Content for this course was developed by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), and reviewed by labour, employer and government representatives to ensure a balanced perspective.
Also available in French.