Disponible en français
Every workplace includes tasks that involve manual materials handling: lifting, lowering, carrying, pushing, pulling, holding or restraining. When the work exceeds a worker's physical capabilities, however, serious injuries can result.
Learn how to prevent manual material handling (MMH) injuries at your workplace by developing the skills needed to identify and control risk factors associated with MMH work.
This course includes case studies with discussion summaries and other examples to illustrate the concepts, as well as practical tools such as sample forms and checklists. Quizzes throughout the course and an exam help to measure and encourage learning.
Learn lifting techniques, identify risk factors and prevent injuries.
- The importance of manual materials handling safety
- Risk factors focused on a Load, Task, Conditions model
- Injury prevention
- Lifting techniques and exercise to prevent back injuries
- Mechanical aids, pushing, pulling and shoveling
- Specific load types, jobs and tasks
Upon completion of the course you will know how to
- Describe common injuries that can arise from MMH
- Identify risk factors that can contribute to injuries and recognize when work may exceed one's physical capacity
- Reduce fatigue, thereby preventing injuries
- Access information about injury prevention for specific MMH tasks
Average time to complete this course is approximately one hour.
Employers, supervisors and managers, and workers can all benefit from taking this course. Employers will learn how to reduce injuries associated with MMH, while supervisors and managers will learn how to recognize when work may exceed a worker’s physical capacity. Workers will learn to identify when work may be too physically strenuous, and to notify a supervisor about these conditions.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company.
Content for this course was developed by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), and reviewed by labour, employer and government representatives to ensure a balanced perspective.
Also available in English.