This course explains your rights and responsibilities as a worker on the job in Ontario, and what the province's Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires from workers, supervisors and employers.
Know your health and safety responsibilities and rights in Ontario.
It is important to understand what the law says and means so that you know your roles and responsibilities, and how this knowledge helps you to stay safe at work. You also need to be aware of common hazards in the workplace, and what to watch out for.
- The rights of workers under the OHSA: the right to know, the right to participate, and the right to refuse unsafe work
- The duties of workers under the OHSA
- The duties of employers and supervisors under the OHSA
- The roles of joint health and safety committees and health and safety representatives
- Common workplace hazards and occupational illnesses
Upon completion of the course you will:
- Know your health and safety responsibilities and rights in Ontario
- Understand the importance of the internal responsibility system (IRS), and the duties of the employer, supervisor and worker
- Be aware of common workplace hazards, including repetitive movements; slips, trips and falls; working near vehicles; using or working near machinery; and workplace violence
- Know where to go for help
Average time to complete this course is approximately one hour.
Under the new Occupational Health and Safety Awareness and Training regulation of the OHSA, which comes into force on July 1, 2014, all employers in Ontario must ensure that their workers complete a basic health and safety awareness training program. This course meets this requirement.
Case studies, quizzes and a final exam help to measure and encourage learning. Upon finishing the course, participants will be able to print a Certificate of Completion. With the purchase of a multi-seat account, employers are able to track and demonstrate that their workers have successfully completed the course.
This course is recommended for Ontario workers and joint health and safety committee members. Managers, supervisors and employers may also find this course helpful.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company.
Please note, this course is not eligible for a volume discount.
Le contenu de la formation a été élaboré par le Centre canadien d'hygiène et de sécurité au travail (CCHST) et a été révisé par des représentants des syndicats, des employeurs et du gouvernement afin d’assurer une perspective équilibrée.