Effective July 15, 2021, the Ontario government, through the Small Business Health and Safety Training Program, will reimburse small businesses for the $25 course registration fee for an appointed health and safety representative and $150 towards the representative's training time.
To qualify for the reimbursement, a business must have 6-19 employees. Businesses can apply up to two times, with a second allowance permitted for staff turnover. Franchises of the same corporation with unique business numbers are also eligible for funding.
IMPORTANT: Please obtain a certificate of completion from the Health and Safety Representative upon completion of the course. Employers will need the certificate to claim reimbursements.
Step One: To apply for the reimbursement, the employer must fill out and submit Small Business Health and Safety Training Program form.
Step Two: In Fall 2021, the employer will receive an email with information on how to complete the reimbursement.
- Occupational health and safety law;
- Rights, duties and responsibilities of the workplace parties;
- Duties and responsibilities of the HSR under the OHSA;
- Common workplace hazards;
- Hazard recognition, assessment, control, and evaluation (RACE methodology) of hazard controls;
- Applying the RACE methodology (recognize, assess, control and evaluate) to a workplace hazard; and
- Health and safety resources available to the workplace parties.
Upon completion, the participant will be able to
- Describe the organization and content of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations.
- Describe the general duties and responsibilities of workplace parties.
- Describe the powers, functions and duties of a health and safety representative (HSR) under the Act.
- Identify common workplace health and safety hazards.
- Describe the legal requirements of workplace inspections.
- Identify the principles for conducting effective workplace inspections.
- Identify the legal requirements for investigating accidents by the MLTSD.
- Describe the steps for conducting an effective accident investigation.
- Employers with 6-19 employees.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company. See the tabs above for additional information.
Please note, this course is not eligible for a volume discount.