This course is an introduction to electrical safety in the workplace. The learner is provided with a basic overview of electrical hazards and safety issues commonly encountered in workplaces including construction, manufacturing, utilities, retail, agricultural and office environments.
The course describes the basics of electricity and how to recognize electrical hazards and covers different types of preventive devices such as fuses and circuit breakers. It is intended for managers, supervisors and workers who are not formally qualified to work with electrical equipment and energized parts.
Identify and understand the electrical hazards in the workplace.
The course does not cover lockout, nor is it intended for workers who work directly with electrical equipment or installations who must have specific training and qualifications.
Case studies and other examples are included to illustrate the concepts. Quizzes throughout the course and an exam help to measure and encourage learning.
- Understanding electricity and electrical hazards
- Electrical injuries (effects on the body)
- Hazard control: electrical equipment and devices
- Electrical hazards in the workplace
- How to recognize hazardous situations
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Recognize the types of electrical hazards that exist in the workplace;
- Identify common electrical injuries and why they occur;
- Recognize that fuses, circuit breakers, and ground fault circuit interrupters can work to reduce the risk of hazardous conditions;
- Understand that equipment or tools require preventive maintenance and act appropriately in resolving these issues;
- Identify and understand the electrical hazards associated with powerlines, extension cords, overused outlets and live parts.
- Managers, supervisors, and workers who may encounter electrical hazards in the workplace but who are not formally qualified to work with electrical equipment
- Health and safety committee members
- Facilities managers
- Anyone who may need general awareness of electrical safety
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company. See the tabs above for additional information.
Also available in French.
Content for this course was developed by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), and reviewed by labour, employer and government representatives to ensure a balanced perspective.
"This was one of the best electrical course I have taken!"
97% agreed/strongly agreed that they would recommend this course to someone else
CCOHS eLearning Satisfaction Survey Results, April 2015 - May 2016