This course will assist those who have responsibility for confined spaces on their worksites. Building on the concepts introduced in "Confined Spaces - The Basics", this course describes the essential components required to establish and manage a confined space program in the workplace, as well as important considerations for emergency preparedness.
Appreciate the seriousness of confined space hazards, identify the components of a confined space program and plan for confined space emergencies at your workplace.
Confined Spaces Management also defines the duties and responsibilities of workplace parties, including due diligence and best practices. Although this course covers the basics of most legal requirements, there may be some variation between jurisdictions. Where possible, links are provided to documents that cover legal requirements for some jurisdictions.
Case studies and other examples are included to illustrate the concepts as well practical tools such as sample forms and checklists. Quizzes throughout the course and an exam help to measure and encourage learning.
- Responsibilities for Confined Space Safety
- Compliance Issues
- Elements of a Confined Space Program
- Emergency Response Planning
- Record keeping
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Understand your roles and responsibilities regarding confined spaces;
- Appreciate the seriousness of confined space hazards and importance of confined space controls;
- Appreciate the lack of predictability of confined space hazards and the importance of appropriate emergency response;
- Identify the essential components of a confined space program and be able to develop and manage a program specific to your workplace;
- Identify specific training needs for supervisors, workers and emergency response team members, including contractors;
- Recognize the need for any specific entry and work procedures;
- Plan for confined space emergencies at your workplace;
- Keep appropriate records.
- Managers, supervisors, or those who control access to confined spaces and/or direct workers/contractors to enter and work in confined spaces
- Anyone with responsibility for establishing or managing a confined space program in the workplace.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company. See the tabs above for additional information.
Also available in French.
Content for this course was developed by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), and reviewed by labour, employer and government representatives to ensure a balanced perspective.