Gases are compressed to make them easier to handle and transport, and are used in industry and laboratories for a variety of different operations.
These gases have their own unique physical, chemical and mechanical hazards which must be understood in order to work safely. Learn about the hazards associated with the storage and handling of compressed gases, and how you can work with them safely using industry-proven best practices. References to legislation, standards and guidance materials are provided where appropriate.
Learn about the hazards associated with the storage and handling of compressed gases
To complement this course, it is recommended that hands-on training is performed at the facility level regarding the specific use, handling and storage policies and practices used at your organization.
- Definitions, uses, and legislation
- Hazards associated with compressed gas use, handling, storage, and transport
- General safe handling and transportation procedures
- General storage requirements
- Specific uses and safety considerations
Upon completion, you will be able to
- Define a compressed gas
- Outline their uses and benefits
- Describe legislative requirements associated with the use of compressed gases
- Understand the hazards associated with the use, storage, handling, and transportation of compressed gas cylinders
- Understand the proper use and selection of regulators and needle valves Identify faulty regulators, lines, or cylinders (ie. leaks)
- Identify specific safe handling considerations for:
- Welding, brazing, and other allied uses
- Laboratory use
- Use of cylinders for breathing assistance
Anyone who is required to use, handle, or transport compressed gas cylinders.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
This course takes approximately one hour to complete.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company.
Also available in English.
Le contenu de la formation a été élaboré par le Centre canadien d'hygiène et de sécurité au travail (CCHST) et a été révisé par des représentants des syndicats, des employeurs et du gouvernement afin d’assurer une perspective équilibrée.