JHSC Certification Training Overview
Announcement: Ministry of Labour to permit online training for JHSC Certification Part I
The training standards for Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) Certification established by the Chief Prevention Officer (CPO) took effect on March 1, 2016 and Ontario companies with 20 or more employees are impacted.
Workplace Safety & Prevention Services (WSPS) has been approved by the CPO to provide Part One and Part Two JHSC Certification Training, as well as Certification Refresher Training.
Companies in Ontario with 20 or more employees are required to have a Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) that complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). For most, that means having at least 2 committee members - 1 worker and 1 management representative - certified in health and safety.
For mushroom, greenhouse, dairy, hog, cattle and poultry farming operations, JHSC certification training is required if there are 50 or more workers.
How does it work?
Certification status is awarded by the CPO after completing both Part One (basic) and Part Two (hazard-specific) training. Part Two (hazard-specific) must be completed within 6 months of completion of Part One training. See Fast Facts for information about exemptions.
Under the current standards:
- If you were certified under the 1996 Certification Standards, you do not require re-certification. Your certification status does not expire and you are considered certified for life. In addition, your certification is portable across workplaces or sectors.
- If you were granted certification status under the current standards, you will require refresher training every 3 years to maintain your certification status. As above, your certification is portable across workplaces or sectors.
- Part One, Part Two and Refresher must be taken from a CPO-approved trainer.
- Part One and Part Two must be completed within 6 months of each other (you can request a one-time extension for Part Two). Those who are not able to complete Part Two within 6 months of completing Part One and are not able to obtain a one-time extension will have to take the refresher training or Part One again, prior to taking Part Two.
- Refresher Training must be taken every 3 years to maintain certification status (you can request a one-time exemption).
- Part One is a minimum of 3 days & Part Two is a minimum of 2 days. Refresher training is 1 day (6.5 hours).
Certification Refresher Training is not only for those certified under the current standards. Anyone certified under the 1996 Certification Standards may also take refresher training to update their knowledge.
Certification is about more than just compliance - it also makes good business sense. When committee members are trained, they're not only better at identifying hazards and making recommendations for improvements, they're also better health and safety leaders.
The result? Higher productivity and less potential downtime from illness and injury.
Not sure if your workplace requires a JHSC with certified members? No problem. Call and speak to our Customer Care team at 1 877 494 WSPS (9777) ext. 0.
WSPS Provides the Training that Gets You Certified
As a leading Chief Prevention Officer (CPO)-approved training provider, WSPS has been trusted as a certification trainer. In fact, WSPS has trained over 100,000 JHSC members in the past 15 years*. Our first-rate, industry-experienced instructors have been there and done it - and will make sure JHSC members learn and can apply it.
We're also committed to the highest standards, reflected in our management systems being certified to ISO 9001:2008 quality standards.
But what really sets us apart is we are a one-stop shop. We're here for you after the training too, from determining if your workplace is meeting its legal requirements, to taking your health and safety program from compliance to competitive edge.
*Source: WSPS Order/Registration system.
Choose your training option
WSPS offers Certification Part One, Certification Part Two and Certification Refresher in classrooms throughout Ontario and can accommodate busy schedules with flexible onsite sessions - any shift, including weeknights and weekends - an ideal option for group training. Simply chose the best fit for you and register on-line or call our Customer Care Team at 1 877-494-WSPS (9777) ext. 0.
Ministry of Labour to permit online training for JHSC Certification Part I
The Ontario government has announced that an online learning option will be permitted for Certification Part I training. Please be advised that this online option is not yet available. In compliance with the 2016 JHSC Training Standard, we recommend that customers proceed with attendance at onsite or public training courses. Please check back with us and we will update you on availability of an online option as soon as possible.
To discuss your training options, contact Workplace Safety & Prevention Services at 1 877-494-WSPS (9777) ext. 0.