Pre-Start Health and Safety Reviews (PSRs) are a tremendous way to mitigate losses and support due diligence, when they are executed correctly. But PSRs and the legal obligations around them are sometimes misunderstood, misapplied or overlooked, says Sandy Ash, WSPS Territory Manager, GTA East. “There are always questions about what triggers a PSR, how exemptions work, how to choose an engineer, how to apply the findings, and more.” Now you can get clarity and find answers at WSPS’ first Pre-Start Health and Safety Review Summit on February 26, 2019.
The summit brings together a powerful line-up of experts from WSPS, the Ministry of Labour and industry to share case studies, best practices, knowledge, experience and advice. This is a rare opportunity to boost your understanding about all facets of the PSR process and get answers to pressing questions.
A PSR is an in-depth examination by a professional engineer of hazards in new or modified equipment or processes. PSRs may relate to machines, storage structures, lifting devices, occupational hygiene, flammable and explosives, and more, says Sandy. It’s required by law: Section 7 - BK6 of Regulation 851 under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
The PSR includes a written report that outlines areas of non-compliance and the measures necessary to achieve compliance (steps, actions or engineering controls). “Too often employers invest in PSRs, but what’s prescribed in the report doesn’t make it to the shop floor,” says Sandy. “This can result in unmanaged hazards that can lead to injuries or fatalities, or require costly after-the-fact fixes.”
The Pre-Start Health and Safety Review Summit takes place at the Centre for Health and Safety Innovation, February 26, from 8:30 am – 1:30 pm, and includes lunch.
The line-up includes:
- an opening keynote by Frank O’Rourke, Vice President HSE & Sustainability, Weston Foods
- Ministry of Labour overview by Roger Jeffries, Provincial Engineer
- 4 breakout sessions:
- Practical Challenges of Complex PSRs, Raj Sohal, Stantec Consulting Ltd.
- Good Practices for Flammable and Combustible Liquids, Miles Purvis, President, ProSafe Inc.
- Misconceptions and Pitfalls of PSRs, Dave Smith, Safety Specialist, Honda of Canada Mfg. Equipment and Construction and Rob Vomiero, Machine and Robotics Safety Specialist, WSPS
- Occupational Hygiene Applications of PSRs, Richard Quenneville, Senior Director Corporate Services, T. Harris Environmental Management Inc., and Warren Clements, Occupational Hygiene Specialist, WSPS
- an expert panel followed by a Q&A. Panel members include:
- Michael Wilson, Machine Guarding Specialist, WSPS (moderator)
- Adrian Khan, Senior Manager, Environmental, Health, Safety and Security, Mother Parkers
- Miles Purvis, President, ProSafe
- Dave Smith, Safety Specialist, Honda of Canada Mfg. Equipment and Construction
- Rob Vomiero, Machine and Robotics Safety Specialist, WSPS
Registration for the summit is now open. Take advantage of an early bird rate that expires January 22.
Looking for more info on PSRs?