Health and Safety Excellence Program
The Health and Safety Excellence program is a WSIB performance-based rewards program integrating the strengths of the previous WSIB Small Business, Safety Groups and Workwell programs. This new model provides a clear road map for Ontario businesses to improve workplace health and safety.
Whether you are just getting started or want to optimize systems and processes you already have in place, the Excellence program can help you reach your goals.
Participants can earn both financial and non-financial rewards and create safer workplaces.
- Employers can choose to work on 1 to 5 health and safety topics in a 12-month period.
- Flexible timelines allow employers to work at their own pace.
- Registration is open all year (entry into the Excellence program will be on a rolling 12 month basis.)
- Financial and non-financial recognition is based on individual participant performance.
- Employers will submit program documentation online for WSPS prior to WSIB validation.
- Flexible entry points; employers choose where they start in the program, not necessarily at level 1.
How the Excellence program works
- Attend an info session: Understand the program and business case for health and safety.
- Join: Choose an approved provider, complete an assessment and select 1-5 topics to work on for the year.
- Develop: Learn and implement safety topic(s) with the support of WSPS.
- Demonstrate: Submit evidence of implementation for review by a WSIB validator.
- Achieve: Receive rebates and non-financial recognition.
- Firms require an active WSIB account to be eligible.
- Both Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 firms can participate; however, financial rebates are available for Schedule 1 firms only.
- Firms must be in good standing with the WSIB.
- Participation requires the firm to register with an official WSIB program provider.
Benefits for participants
- Earn rebates and lower your premiums.
- Improve your health and safety experience.
- Gain access to a team of leading health and safety experts.
- Receive exclusive access to WSPS member resources.
- Build a well-crafted and functional health and safety program.
Keeping people safe and healthy at work is good for business
Under 2020 Rate Framework, employers will fall into one of two categories based on their ability to influence their premium rates.
Group 1: Low predictability (under 20%)
Businesses who have low insurable earnings and the number of past claims are low qualify for a minimum $1,000 rebate per completed Health and Safety Topic or 2% of their premiums, whichever is greater, up to 75% of WSIB premiums.
Group 2: High predictability (over 20%)
Business’ who have high claim costs and considerable insurable earnings qualify for a 1.4% rebate off their WSIB premiums up to a maximum of $50,000 per completed Health and Safety Topic or $250,000 per 12 months, for five topics completed.
NOTE: Predictability is a measurement of how much your past claims and insurable earnings can be used to predict future outcomes.
- An improved health and safety program for participating employer workplaces due to focused attention on building knowledge and implementing plans.
- An Excellence program participation badge will be visible in COMPASS when a firm’s action plan is approved by the WSIB (updated quarterly).
- Firms will receive additional COMPASS recognition for each topic and level completed, as well as number of years in the program.
- An annual achievement report will be sent to employers from the WSIB to reflect their progress in the program.
How can WSPS help?
WSPS makes it easier for you to develop and implement health and safety programs. We provide you with everything you need:
- Expert advice on setting goals for improvement
- Professional coaching
- Continuous support
How to Register
Registration for the 2020 Health and Safety Excellence program year will open in November 2019. Check back for details. Contact WSPS to learn more.