Location: Head Office, Mississauga
Position Openings: 1 (1 yr Contract)
Reporting to the Manager, Solution Ideation & Implementation, the Product Specialist is responsible for the planning, development and implementation of health and safety solutions designed to address the needs of customers, meet corporate objectives and ensure strategic timelines and targets are met.
The Product Specialist oversees the solution (product) lifecycle, including gathering and prioritizing market and stakeholder needs, defining the solution vision and working with other internal functional areas to ensure the successful adoption of the solution.
The Product Specialist will create and manage plans intended to increase the value of existing solutions and oversee the development of timely and high-quality new solutions. Thus, the successful candidate must possess a unique blend of business and sales savviness, a big-picture vision and the drive to bring that vision to fruition.
Note: Percentages refer to approximate % of time spent on each area, over the course of a given year.
1. New solution development strategy (50%)
- Manages solutions within assigned portfolios from cradle to grave, defining solution roadmaps, conducting needs assessments, setting launch plans, timelines and key performance indicators, ensuring health and safety requirements are defined and addressed
- Recommends direction of new solution development focusing on a blend of lagging indicators (i.e., past performance of similar solutions), leading indicators (i.e., legislative changes, customer interviews) and innovative design ideas (i.e., new technology platforms).
- Collaborates with cross-functional team(s) to define business case and business requirements including inputs and outputs, features and benefits, scoping, development schedule, oversight, issue resolution, problem solving, and outcome delivery.
- Drives the successful launch of new solutions by integrating corporate readiness and market positioning using effective project management and the timely communication of operational rollouts.
- Collaborates with subject matter experts to research, scope, write and present new solutions business cases to senior management for approval, revisits/makes adjustments based on feedback.
- Acts as a new solution champion within the organization, promoting the benefits via staff communication, integrated sales planning and the demonstration of coordinated marketing efforts
- Ensures new solution development leverages existing WSPS investments (e.g., partnerships, sector research, existing regional or unofficial products, etc.)
- Maximizes new solution targeting while reducing investment risk by working with core customers to conduct research, specify needs, review content and build marketplace support
2. Current solution management (25%)
- Monitors portfolio performance against revenue and reach targets and makes strategic recommendations to support performance expectations in line with the Strategic Plan plan
- Develops strategies for portfolios to support continuous improvement
- Formally evaluates product line/category risks and proposes contingency plans as necessary
- Provides coordination and leadership for portfolio, launch administration and process control adherence
- Defines solution communication goals and provides data/market insights for tactical planning including campaigns, bundles, advertising, partnership development and policy associations in collaboration with WSPS functional areas
- Recommends solution pricing utilizing research data, costs of goods sold (COGS), forecasts and other inputs
- Assesses products/solutions through life cycle and recommends actions (e.g., retire, refresh, status quo, etc.) to support WSPS brand, policy and revenue performance metrics
- Supports secondary and tertiary product reach, revenue and reputation opportunities including, but not limited to, licensing and rights management
3. Business planning and H&S quality leadership (25%)
- For respective portfolio, performs solution analysis to support effective decision-making working towards achievement of revenue targets
- Liaises with internal departments to stay abreast of research, policy, competitive analysis, market identification and other investments to support portfolio performance within the overall Strategic Plan
- Drives innovation by seeking industry best practices, exploring innovations that create new value networks, testing new concepts, and initiating other activities designed to create competitive advantage for WSPS
- Support the quality management process by ensuring adherence to defined processes
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and attaining/retaining professional designations
- Participates in budget planning, administration and forecasting
4. Contributes to healthy and safe work environment (at all times)
- Adheres to WSPS policies, procedures, process fact sheets, guidelines and business rules established in the WSPS Quality Management system
- Contributes to promoting a healthy and safe culture, and links efforts to the WSPS quality management system approach (Plan, Do, Check, Act, Continuous Improvement Cycle)
- Acts as a role model internally and externally by demonstrating knowledge of health and safety and wellness practises
Education & experience:
- Relevant post-secondary education in Business Administration or related studies
- 3-5 years related experience in brand management, product development, sales, marketing or equivalent
- Exceptionally strong business case writing and communication skills
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Net-Meeting
- Valid Ontario's Driver License
- Access to vehicle that meets MTO safety standards
- Product Specialists work in a fast-paced and stressful environment and need to respond quickly in a customer service oriented manner, occasional travel is required
- Degree in Marketing, Business Administration or related
- Project management experience preferred
Deadline for Application: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 @ 4:00 PM (EST)
Applications are to be forwarded to: email@example.com
Complete application will include: Cover letter & Resume referencing the job title in the subject line.
WSPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, WSPS will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
We thank all those that apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.