Formerly 15847-Pre-Start Health and Safety Reviews (1/2 day).
The legal requirements for pre-start health and safety reviews (PSRs) are numerous and complex. Under Section 7 of Ontario's Regulation for Industrial Establishments, employers may need to conduct a PSR and implement compliance measures before a new or modified apparatus, structure, protective element or process is put into use.
PSRs most commonly apply in circumstances involving safeguarding devices that signal a stop (e.g., light curtains, interlocked doors, etc.). They can also apply in circumstances involving:
- Racks and stacking structures
- Lifting devices
- Spray booths
- Flammable liquids
- Dust collectors for easily ignitable dusts
- Molten metal in a foundry
- Chemical processes
Exposure to the hazards associated with these circumstances can result in serious injuries and illnesses or fatalities and costly liabilities for employers.
This course helps participants understand the requirements of Section 7 and assess whether those requirements apply and if a PSR is (or is not) required. Plus, it provides practical tools and resources to support compliance.
This training solution helps employers to:
- Reduce the risk of injuries, illnesses & fatalities and avoid costly incidents, prosecutions, fines, property losses and downtime
- Reduce costs by integrating health & safety at the design stage which minimizes the need for equipment or process retrofits
- Achieve safe, healthy and productive workplaces in a cost-effective & proactive way
- Demonstrate due diligence
This course is delivered in a public classroom and/or can also be delivered in an on-site location.
Please contact Customer Care at 905-614-1400 or 1-877-494-WSPS (9777) for more information about availability and on-site pricing.
This half-day, instructor-led course offers the following features:
- Developed with the support of a WSPS professional engineer experienced in delivering PSRs and qualified in machine safeguarding-our expert advisor served as chair of the CSA Technical Committee on Safeguarding of Machinery.
- Delivered only by WSPS technical experts qualified in machine safety or other relevant areas, such as steel storage racking and lifting devices.
- Includes activities that facilitate optimal transfer of knowledge to learners.
- Can be tailored to the customer's requirements and include site-specific examples and walk-throughs when delivered on-site.
Upon completion, you will be able to
- Describe what a PSR is and the intent behind the requirements of Section 7 of the Regulation for Industrial Establishments
- Review how the legal requirements apply
- Assess when a PSR is or is not required
- Follow a process for complying with Section7 requirements
- Identify where to turn for more help
- Safety professionals & engineers.
- Managers & supervisors of operations, plants and warehouses.
- Purchasing & maintenance personnel.
- Others responsible for PSR assessments or implementation.
- JHSC members.