The course familiarizes workers with the system used across Canada to provide safety information about hazardous products in their workplaces. Participants will learn about the WHMIS symbols and their meaning, the labels on products, and material safety data sheets (MSDSs).
Learn to recognize the WHMIS symbols, understand the supplier and workplace labels, read the material safety data sheets and know how to protect yourself when working with hazardous materials.
The course also includes valuable practical advice, so you will know basic health and safety measures to protect yourself and prevent workplace injuries and illnesses.
- Components of WHMIS: labels, MSDSs and education / training
- Rights and responsibilities of workers in WHMIS
- WHMIS classes and their symbols
- Supplier labels
- Workplace labels
- Material safety data sheets
- Fundamentals of chemical safety
- Helpful resources
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Know your rights and responsibilities
- Recognize the WHMIS symbols and their meaning
- Understand the types of information provided on supplier labels and workplace labels
- Read an MSDS and find information on hazards and preventive measures
- Take basic measures to protect yourself when working with hazardous materials
- Find additional information on hazardous materials
- Workers in workplaces where chemical products are used
- Students in science and technology programs
- Young workers preparing for a new job
- Human resources and safety professionals with responsibilities for training and compliance
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company.
Also available in English.
94% Agree / Strongly Agree that they would recommend this course to someone else.
CCOHS eLearning Satisfaction Survey Results, April 2015 - May 2016