Chemical hazards come in many different forms and are found in every workplace. In an office environment, chemicals can come in the form of cleaners, paints, flammable aerosols, gas cylinders, which all have their own unique set of hazards. People who work in office environments must understand how to identify and deal with these hazards.
Find out your WHMIS responsibilities, define a "controlled product", understand the meaning of hazard symbols and explain what information should be on a "workplace label".
This e-course explains common chemical hazards found in office buildings and provides workers in office environments with the core knowledge required to meet legislated Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) education requirements. WHMIS has been an important element of workplace health and safety programs and legislation in Canada for more than two decades.
This course includes case studies with discussion summaries and other examples to illustrate the concepts, as well as practical tools such as sample forms and checklists. Quizzes throughout the course and an exam help to measure and encourage learning.
- WHMIS within the total building environment, including shipping/receiving areas and outdoor spaces
- The three key elements of WHMIS: labels, material safety data sheets (MSDSs), and worker education/training
- Working safely with WHMIS controlled products common to the office environment
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Explain how WHMIS contributes to safety and health in an office environment
- Describe the WHMIS responsibilities of suppliers, employers, and workers
- Define a "controlled product"
- Give examples of controlled products in a typical office setting
- Understand the meaning of WHMIS hazard symbols
- Evaluate and apply the information on a WHMIS supplier label
- Explain what information should be on a "workplace label", and when they are needed
- Understand the purpose and significance of information on MSDSs
- Describe basic safe work practices for different types of controlled products
Average time to complete this course is approximately one hour.
Anyone who works in an office building, including: workers, supervisors, managers, building operations personnel, and cleaning/custodial staff. This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company.
Also available in French.
*This course is not eligible for volume discounts
94% Agree / Strongly Agree that they would recommend this course to someone else.
CCOHS eLearning Satisfaction Survey Results, April 2015 - May 2016