CCOHS developed this course by drawing upon the knowledge and experience accumulated from its information services since WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) began. The purpose of this course is to help managers and supervisors understand and meet their health and safety responsibilities, including WHMIS.
Know how to control hazards and the WHMIS classes and symbols, understand the labels and the material safety data sheets.
The course familiarizes people who have supervisory and management responsibilities with the system used across Canada to provide safety information about hazardous products in workplaces. Participants will learn about their WHMIS duties and responsibilities, WHMIS symbols and their meanings, product labels, and material safety data sheets (MSDSs). The course also includes valuable, practical advice, and basic health and safety measures you can take to protect your employees and prevent workplace injuries and illnesses.
- Basics of WHMIS and duties of the employer
- Duties and responsibilities as a manager or supervisor
- Components of a WHMIS program
- Hazard communication
- WHMIS classes and their symbols
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs)
- Safe use and handling of hazardous materials
- Education and training
- Helpful resources
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to
- Know your duties and responsibilities under WHMIS regulations
- Know the WHMIS classes and symbols and their meanings
- Understand the types of information provided on supplier labels and workplace labels
- Understand the information on MSDSs and be able to find information on hazards and preventive measures
- Know how to control hazards and protect employees working with hazardous materials
- Know how to find additional information on hazardous materials
- Managers and supervisors in workplaces where chemical products are used
- Human resources and safety professionals with responsibilities for training and compliance
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single learner or select a multiple learner license. With a multiple learner license you will act as an administrator and add learners from your company.
Also available in French.
*This course is not eligible for volume discounts