Created specifically for those in Ontario workplaces who have already had some training on the basic concepts of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), this e-course allows you to quickly refresh your WHMIS understanding. You will review WHMIS basics and Ontario legislation, hazard classes, labels and material safety data sheets (MSDSs), and learn key tips for working safely with hazardous materials, using quizzes and practical summaries. Many printable fact sheets and other resources are included.
Quickly refresh your WHMIS understanding.
Note that this course does not cover certain special issues and requirements that may apply to laboratories or workplaces where chemicals are produced, formulated, or packaged.
Developed by CCOHS in collaboration with WSPS, this course features case studies, review quizzes, "Ask a Question", and access to resources from CCOHS and WSPS. Those who score at least 80% on the final exam will be able to print a certificate of completion.
- Basics of WHMIS
- WHMIS legislation and enforcement (including responsibilities)
- Hazard classes and their symbols
- WHMIS labels
- Education and training
- Key tips for working safely with controlled products
Upon completion of this course you will be able to
- List the duties and responsibilities of suppliers, employers, and workers
- Recognize the WHMIS symbols and know their meanings
- Understand the types of information on WHMIS labels and MSDSs
- Take basic measures to protect yourself and others when working with hazardous materials
- Know where to get additional information on WHMIS requirements
Average time to complete this course is about 60 minutes.
- Workers, supervisors, and managers in workplaces where controlled products are used
- Human resources and safety professionals with responsibilities for training and compliance
- Anyone who works with, or near, controlled products
This is a refresher course. Prior to taking this course, participants should have completed a WHMIS classroom course or an e-course such as WHMIS for Workers in Ontario, or WHMIS for Managers and Supervisors in Ontario.
During checkout, you can choose to register as a single user or select a multi-user license where you can add multiple learners from your company.