An Occupational Health & Safety Management System (OHSMS) helps business owners align health and safety with the organization's overall strategic planning. It is a proven system of procedures and processes that employers implement to continually improve health and safety, reducing the risk of injury and illness and holding senior leaders accountable.
Simply put, implementing an OHSMS is an organizational commitment to continually put health and safety at the forefront of the organization's business plans. To an employee, the existence of an effective OHSMS is confirmation that their safety and well-being matters.
An OHSMS helps raise your business to a new level of performance. It not only enhances the organization's brand and reputation, but improves ROI and sets the course for growing a dynamic workplace safety culture.
Need more information? Read the OHSMS frequently asked questions.
Key OHSMS developments
- The MOL is drafting an accreditation and employer recognition program for Ontario businesses that successfully implement an OHSMS. To learn more, read this article "What you need to know about Bill 70".
- A new International OHSMS Standard, ISO 45001, was released in 2018. To learn more about this standard, visit the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) website.
- The Canadian Standards Association (CSA) has posted a draft Canadian adoption of ISO 45001. To read the draft OHSMS standard Z45001, visit the CSA website. The draft will be available for public review until January 4, 2019. CSA Login required.
Benefits to implementing an OHSMS
- Improved OHS and business performance.
- Stronger competitive advantage.
- Improved brand impact and ROI.
- Enhanced employee trust and loyalty.
- Improved employee relations as H&S needs are continually being addressed.
YES! I'm interested in learning more about OHSMS. So what do I do now?
At WSPS, we can help you take a fresh look at your health and safety strategy and then empower you to choose an OHSMS standard that's right for your business. From training solutions that support current OHSMS standards to OHSMS gap analyses, internal audits and/or implementation support - our trusted experts are ready to answer questions and help you every step of the way. Call us today! 1-877-494-WSPS (9777).